It’s my favorite time of year…CHRISTMAS TIME!!!
I broke out the Christmas movies last week. The man ordered Home Alone 1 &2 for me last week…we started watching it 2 days ago. And yesterday…well yesterday I hung my Christmas wreath on the front door much to the mans chagrin.
But tonight the rest of Pittsburgh joins in my festive mood. Tonight is downtowns LIGHT UP NIGHT!!!
Unfortunately since I’ll be up before the sun for work tomorrow I will not be participating in today’s activities.
For those of you who can have weekend lives…here’s what you can expect today!
This year, a daily European-style “Holiday Market” in Market Square will be a new downtown attraction during the holiday season.
Music will once again play a big role in this year’s celebration, with musicians lining the Roberto Clemente Bridge. There will also be a new stage dedicated solely to jazz.
Street closures will be in effect at various times. Go to the Port Authority website for information about bus detours. Here are the scheduled road closures…
Unveiling of Macy’s window:
– Smithfield Street closed between Fourth and Fifth avenues, starting at 4:30 p.m. until 8:30 p.m.
– Port Authority buses will be allowed to use Smithfield Street until 6 p.m. All bus traffic will be detoured after 6 p.m. Police will man the barricades at Smithfield & Fifth, Smithfield & Forbes and Smithfield & Fourth.
Santa Spectacular in Point State Park:
– Commonwealth Place will be closed from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Officers will man the barricades at Commonwealth & New Penn and Commonwealth & Fort Duquesne Blvd.
– 2 p.m. to 4:45 p.m. — Delray will close, and set-up on Fifth Avenue Place sidewalk will take place.
– 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. — Liberty Avenue will be closed between Fifth Avenue and the turnaround at New Liberty/New Penn.
– Stanwix Street between Fort Duquesne Boulevard and Third Avenue.
Light Up Night festivities:
– Fourth Avenue closed between Wood and Stanwix streets from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
– Forbes Avenue at Wood and all of Market Square closed from 9 a.m. to midnight.
– Roberto Clemente Bridge closed from 5 a.m. to 1 a.m.
– Andy Warhol Bridge closed from 9 a.m. to midnight.
– Rachel Carson Bridge closed for fireworks show only.
– Fort Duquesne Boulevard outbound closed between Stanwix and Rachel Carson Bridge from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.